25 February 2016

Ziggy Stardust





Meet ziggy stardust, 42" * 50" hand-quilted with perle cotton on a piece of leftover hobbs wool batting. 

I started out with 6 log cabins that was made some years ago. Inspired by a few pretty quilts with this fun layout, the blocks were cut in four and arranged on my design wall until I liked the composition. Luckily I found a larger cut of light blue to fill out the rest of the top. The band of quartered log cabins was supposed to run horizontally, until the batting surfaced from my stash and had a different opinion. (Not big enough.) The joy of using what you have on hand means sometimes changing direction as you go. 

As I was putting this top together, the news of David Bowie's passing made head news. So the name just came to me. I was watching several documentaries and listen to his music as I quilted this by hand. So many great songs from a big artist!


7 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a gorgeous quilt - great colors, great layout, and wonderful quilting.

Nifty Quilts said...

You've taken a traditional block and made it completely modern with your unique setting! The colors make it sparkle like stars. I imagine that David Bowie would have liked it very much.

audrey said...

Great layout for your blocks! The yellow is so sparky and fun.:)

Ellen T. said...

Colors, design, quilting all great!

Judy said...

I really like the bright yellow set against the sky blue-great fabric choices!!

KateKwiltz said...

Marit, this is GORGEOUS! It's a beautiful color combination, and a great layout.

Heidi said...

Wonderful quilt...