16 December 2011

december finish


Up here north we are having shorter and shorter days. I am trying to catch the fading daylight outside to present my finished Recess Pinwheels. This lap quilt finished at 48" by 60" with Hobbs cotton batting.

I ended up doing quite a bit of quilting by hand.

This quilt is made from a layer cake (Recess 10" squares from American Jane) In my own bake shop I cooked up this easy recipe:

combine the 10" squares in pairs with a good contrast in color (I had 2o pairs)
sew around the 4 edges with the usual 1/4" seam allowance
slice each pair diagonally in both directions, press the seams and make into pinwheels
arrange them in a pleasing order and sew them into rows, then sew the rows together

I arranged them on my design wall before sewing them together. And then I couldn't help but make a twist...

... can you spot it?


Time to concentrate on christmas preparations!

Wish you all a good weekend.

; )

15 comments:

Miki Willa said...

I love the way this came together. The pinwheels look great the way you combined the fabrics. Beautiful quilt.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It looks fantastic! what a fabulous way to use a layer cake!

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt!! Simple ingredients, beautiful result. Thank you for the "recipe." I can't find the twist.

dutchcomfort said...

That’s a very happy quilt to finish the year with Marit! Happy Holiday Season to you!

MWalker said...

♫♪Found it! (I think, LOL!)♫♪ I love a good pinwheel quilt. Beautiful job!

KateKwiltz said...

Found it! Very subtle!

And a beautiful finish!

Vicki said...

pretty! I love the recess line.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

This is beautiful! I love the twist and those fabrics are so gorgeous combined with the solids :)

Cille said...

Beautiful quilt, very happy and bright :) the little squirk.... Is it the green white orange block? Love it.

Nifty Quilts said...

Ha! Now I see the twist. Those little bits give a quilt so much character. Very sneaky of you!

Rebecca said...

Beautiful quilt! So cheerful and warm. I love the colors...and the twist!

greelyrita said...

The twist is so subtle. If the colours had not been so similar, it would have been very obvious. It took me a while to find it. Thanks for the little puzzle. :)

Kelly said...

Fun colors here! Nice mix of prints and solids. I love it quilt and I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

Sandra said...

Wonderful quilt! Love the scrappiness!

CeeDee said...

The twist is on the middle pinwheels. Those pinwheel are not the same color. Within the four patch. Three match and the four square of the group is a totally different color.
The four middle pin wheels. One half square within the group is switch. Such good fun. Love it.